Monday 19 November 2012

"Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays"

I'd also like to speak with you about your flare.

For as long as I can remember, I've heard people complain about Mondays... "I hate Mondays", "Monday's suck", "Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays", etc. I've never for the life of me understood why. It's a day, just like yesterday was, just like tomorrow will be. It's the first day of the work week for many but really, what's the first day of the work week other than a few days away from Friday. You've got to start somewhere... Monday just got the crap luck of being that starting point. I'm sure I've had more bad Wednesdays in my life than Mondays. Maybe I like what I do for a living more than the average person. Maybe I don't use days of the week as a conversation piece or a reason to vent. Who knows... but as of now, I'm less of a Monday person. Why you ask?

Ever blog about local hockey on a Monday morning? Sunday's a wrap... there's really nothing much to talk about until midweek at best. Since it's November, baseball talk is pretty much out of the question (except for Melky Cabrera possibly moving his stash to TO... wonder if Clemens left any good stuff behind a false wall in the locker room? If Melky is spotted at Rogers Center with a map and a crowbar we might get our answer.) Also, talking about the NHL is kind of pointless since they no longer feel the need to play games in November. I could go off on a number of topics regarding - but not directly related to - the subjects I discuss on here, but I'd rather conserve those for a rainy day. I'm also not much of a football fan (I'll watch, but I haven't been an overt follower since Steve Young was a big thing in San Francisco) and NASCAR just isn't my idea of a good time (It's barely my idea of a bad time).

However, come the weekend there's gonna be a whole whack of stuff to talk about. Both the Wildcats and Commandos face arguably their biggest tests starting Friday. Moncton actually gets it started on Wednesday when they face a Screaming Eagles team at Center 200 that has been known to give them fits at times over the last few years. After that, it's back home for a twofer versus Baie-Comeau on Saturday and Halifax Sunday. The Drakk have collected at least one point in each of their last 15 games while the Mooseheads are merely the top ranked team in the country right now, one of those teams that can beat you with an average effort and make you cry for mommy with a good or better one. Should be a whole lot of fun... plus the Santa Claus parade goes down somewhere in the middle there, a delight to most anyone (I like it because everyone else is downtown and I'm home with a drink, basking in the disheveled hermit lifestyle I've come to know and love).

For the Commandos, they warm up on Friday against Summerside. And when I say "warm up", I mean "get thrown into the fire" since Summerside is: a) one point out of first overall in the league b) gearing up to compete for a national championship, c) tremendously skilled and d) probably aware of the fact that Dieppe defeated them in their own barn the last time the two teams met. Personally, I love the games against the Caps. Summerside is a consistently strong team in the MHL, but they always seem to bring out the best in the Commandos. These two teams always make life interesting for one another, what with the plethora of OT games, assorted comebacks and just the fact that it's two good teams duking it out. Most games (in Dieppe anyway) are high tempo, high compete level, physical without being too greasy and thoroughly entertaining. I love calling the Caps/Commandos games because they essentially call themselves more often than not. Plus, I've learned that the person behind the Caps twitter account is reading this, which I appreciate. Told you I'd be nice to your guys... I'm not such a bad guy once you get to know me... I'm just a harmless hack.

After that, it's off to the brand spanking new Pictou County Wellness Center for a date with the Weeks Crushers... the same Crushers team Dieppe came from behind to defeat 5-4 in OT eight days ago thanks to a late third period double minor called against Jason Malone's squad. Now this is a game that could get ugly as tempers began to flare as that last game progressed. I also find it odd that by November 24th, the Commandos and Crushers will complete their 4 game regular season set. They've only faced the Tigers and Slammers twice this year by comparison. Meh... one more longer road trip out of the way I guess... and it's only a one gamer at that. Just remember to being a backup bus this time.

Guess there was more to talk about than I thought. Mondays just got a little bit better. Now, time to complain about the weather...


No comments:

Post a Comment