Sunday 11 November 2012

Welcome... help yourself to the booze under the sink!

Ahoy-hoy

Welcome to this blog... and now that the awkward introduction is over with, how about some background info?

I've been a hockey and baseball fan for as long as I can remember. Red Sox in baseball, Habs in the NHL and a plethora of local hockey teams at various levels here in good old Moncton, NB. One thing I've always tried to do is be one of those open-minded fans... trying my best not to overlook the deficiencies in my favorite teams simply because they were my favorites. At the same time, not overlooking the more positive attributes in opposing teams simply because they wore a particular sweater or honed their skills in a specific city. A perfect example of this would've been in 2011, when I (very quietly) applauded the Boston Bruins' Stanley Cup victory over the Vancouver Canucks. For my money, the Bruins represented what I felt were a better team... and in my mind, I respected how they conducted themselves as a whole more than the Canucks (a few fingers in the mouth notwithstanding, but I digress). When I look at leagues, teams and players, I try to be as objective as possible. I like to think this objectivity led me to what's developing into a lengthy stay in the broadcast booth as a (very amateurish) broadcasting personality on the local hockey scene.

For the last eight seasons, I've covered everything from girls pee-wee to major junior hockey in a variety of capacities... hosting, color guy, play-by-play, analyst... you name it, I've done it. I actually started a blog devoted to the Moncton Wildcats at the start of the 2010-2011 season because I figured my life as a broadcaster was on the downturn... about three days into that venture, I became the color commentator for the Cats and the blog was lost to some far corner of cyberspace. For a variety of reasons, I declined to come back as Cats color guy in 11-12. Nowadays, I keep myself busy in the rink as the web voice of the Dieppe Commandos of the MHL. It's a cozy little gig... not terribly demanding but certainly enough to continue to feed the habit of being behind the mic while watching a game I love. In fact, things are so cozy, I've decided to revive my fledgling career as a blogger. This time, I'll talk mostly about hockey in general, with a sprinkling of baseball added in there (mostly Red Sox...you've been warned) in the summer months. My views are strictly my own and do not represent the views of anyone else... and I'm sure anyone else is pleased to hear that. 

So that's the intro... you may not agree with what I post on here... however, as long as someone is reading this I plan to continue. If I can think of a topic, I'll keep this going... and fortunately (or unfortunately) I can think of a lot of crap to fill this space. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment