Tuesday 8 January 2013

We're Goin' for a Ride

Sorry I'm late posting today, I was busy budgeting all the Wildcats playoff ticket money I'll not be spending after this year.

I'll preface everything below by saying this: I hope this works. I want it to work. This organization and this town deserve a winner. But...

I'm not happy with what happened today. I feel this was a mistake... and one that doesn't rest totally (or even at all) on the shoulders of Wildcat management. From the second Robert Irving stood up in front of everyone at the Q&A session with Gilles Courteau back in November and announced to the room that the Wildcats were working around the clock, doing everything in their power to build a team to win it all this year, I knew this day would come. Part of me had myself convinced it wouldn't... but I knew it was just a matter of time.

Simply put, some people look at this team as a top flight contender. With all due respect to everyone, I don't see it. Instead, I see a team that has be mired in inconsistency; where missing one player played a large role in them going into a tailspin through the month of December until now. With each passing day, this reminds me more and more of the 1999-2000 Wildcats; questions between the pipes, questions of character, so many players carted in from other organizations, but so much talent in the present there was almost no choice but to make a splash and go on a run.

I'll say this much... if the team was going to severely mortgage the future, I'm glad they did it for the player they received in today's trade. I'm a huge Phillip Danault fan... ever since he was made captain of the Tigres at 17, I've been a fan. He works his behind off every single shift and has the talent to more often than not scare the wits out of alot of opposing defensive units in their own zone. If there was anyone on the market who is probably ideal for this squad from a dressing room perspective to go for, this is the guy. I mentioned the other day that it's so hard to trade for leadership when it usually comes from within the organization... but Danault is one guy who will bring a winning attitude with him in spades.

As well, I sincerely hope that, no matter what happens, the men behind the bench stay with this organization. I have alot of appreciation and respect for Danny Flynn, Fabien Joseph and Darryl Seward as people as well as hockey men. As I've said in the past, if there is anybody around these parts who can rebuild this franchise, it's this group... and build they will have to do. I get a sinking feeling this will not play out the way I'd like to see it (both this season and the state of the bench staff)... and if any or all of these guys leave the organization after this year if the Cats fail to capture the big prize that will be the worst part of this entire venture from my personal perspective. Good people within the game are sometimes very hard to find... and this trio would be especially hard to replicate in my estimation.

So... here we go. The roster is set, for better or for worse. This is not a horrible team. This is actually a team that has beaten some exceptionally good clubs so far this season. When they are on, the Cats are as good as anyone in the league. When they aren't, you have to watch with eyes partially covered some nights... the problem is, you never know which of these teams is going to skate through the big cat on any given night. If that cat is still inflated this time five months from now for something other than BBQ's at City Hall, I will look foolish (not the first time and won't be the last) and this exercise will be more worthwhile... and until that time hopefully comes, we support, we cheer and we play the lottery.

Get you tickets handy because the Cats are in fact playing the lottery. They're pressing their luck and hoping to avoid the whammy. And they're about to take us all on a ride. Put on your seatbelts and raise your tray tables... it could be a bumpy one.





No comments:

Post a Comment